Black Bean and Quinoa Salad
I discovered this recipe years ago and used it often for catering events as well as lunch or dinner at home.
This recipe is perfect for a large crowd or for even those cooking for one.
It was perfect for me this week as you can easily make more or cut it in half.
I have been alone all week, so wanted to keep my cooking simple, yet still eat well. It can be a great main dish or a side.
Serves 4-6 as an entrée or 8 as a side dish
1 1/2 cups quinoa
1 1/2 cups cooked black beans, rinsed if canned
1 1/2 tablespoons red-wine vinegar
1 1/2 cups cooked corn (cut from about 2 large ears)
3/4 cup finely chopped red bell pepper
1/4 cup finely chopped fresh cilantro
5 tablespoons fresh lime juice, or to taste
1 teaspoon salt
1 1/4 teaspoons ground cumin, or to taste
1/3 cup olive oil
2 jalapenos or serrano chilies, seeded and minced (add to desired spice level)
- Cook Quinoa according to package directions
- While quinoa is cooking, in a small bowl toss beans with vinegar and salt and pepper to taste.
- Transfer quinoa to a large bowl and cool. Add beans, corn, red pepper, cilantro and toss well.
- In a small bowl whisk together lime juice, salt, jalapenos and cumin and add oil in a stream, whisking. You can also use a Cuisinart to quickly combine.
- Drizzle dressing over salad and toss well with salt and pepper to taste. Salad may be made 1 day ahead and chilled, covered. Bring salad to room temperature before serving.